Friday, February 12, 2016

Identity Crisis

Help!  As many of you know, I recently purchased a new van (Pedro the Promaster) and I am planning to sell Silas.  Silas the Sprinter has really become part of my identity over the past few years.  All of my friends and many people I haven't met know the van by name, I have some loyal Instagram followers, I am referred to as Silas the Sprinter in my guest blogs on various sites, and Silas is linked to in tags and references (he was even recently mentioned in Cosmo Magazine!).


So that begs the question: What happens when I sell Silas?  I realize that this is extremely trivial, but I don't care, I'm asking anyway.  Do you think I should:

1. Keep the Instagram handle @silasthesprinter and the blog name (I actually bought the domain silasthesprinter.com last year, but haven't had a chance to build that site yet).  As Silas was the inspiration and the foundation for this lifestyle, I could keep the names as they are as an homage to the van that started it all.  But, this could be confusing because I won't own a Sprinter any more and people may wonder why is she called Silas the Sprinter when she drives a Promaster, is she confused about what type of van she has?

2. Keep the same Instagram account but change the named to PedroThePromaster (I'm pretty sure you can change your Instagram name without creating a new account?).  This would mean those interested in continuing to follow the journey in Pedro would not need to follow a new account, but it would also mean everything tagged or linked to Silas on Instagram would now come up as "user not found."


3. Start all new accounts for Pedro.  Start from scratch with the new van.  Kind of not as thrilled about this option, but it is still an option.

What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. link silas to pedro, so both links will take you to your new pages, Pedro the promaster, formerly silas the sprinter...Hugs on your new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say leave it as Silas the Sprinter. I don't think near as many people know what a Sprinter is as you might think. And maybe I'm wrong too. When I first started following, I thought Silas was your dog, HaHa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep Silas. OBVIOUSLY! Life is nothing but change. Pedro will die one day and you'll likely stop living in a van at some point during your life. I was wondering why you kept the alliteration: Perdro the promaster? Why not name it Silas, too: Silas II. That's my preference. Also, I'd love to see a post about the cost of living in a van: share the details for Silas: fuel cost, maintenance, insurance, registration, etc. and calculate the cost per month (include the expected sale price) over Silas I's lifetime. And perhaps estimate the cost for building and living in pedro. I think a lot of people would be interested in this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regarding your question about Instagram, you can simply change the name of your account assuming that name has not already been taken. And in doing so it doesn't change any of the photographs or where they belong, it just changes the name the account is under.

    ReplyDelete