Friday, April 8, 2016

Backcountry Basics


My goal for this winter was to spend the season in Tahoe and learn how to backcountry ski.  As I begin transitioning to the summer season and reflect on the winter, I think it is safe to say that I have accomplished my objective.  It isn't terribly hard to motivate oneself to learn how to do something that is fun and rewarding, but still, I feel good about how things went.

Birthday turns outside the Bradley Hut.  Photo by Brian Buckley
One of my favorite backcountry partners
 Learning to backcountry ski consists of obtaining your new gear and finding out how it works, and very importantly, figuring out how to travel safely in backcountry terrain to avoid the risk of avalanches.  Buying the gear was extremely fun, although wildly expensive.  Because I'm a bit small, I wasn't able to find a used set-up that would work for me.  I said to hell with saving money and went all out on some really nice gear.  It helped to go to a local ski shop where one of the employees listened to what my goals were, what type of skier I was, and what I was looking to do.  I walked out with a set-up that I'm extremely happy with.  You can see my gear list at the bottom of this post.  On to education!


At first, I was adamant that I would not go into the backcountry without first taking my Avy 1.  However, things didn't really go according to my original plan, and in hindsight, I'm glad they didn't.  I was fortunate to have two experienced backcountry travelers as roommates (one of which was my boyfriend, he's super cool).  They both knew my skills (or lack thereof) as a skier and took me under their wing to teach me the ways of the world.  Brian took every opportunity to point things out to me- terrain traps, cornices, wind features, and he took the time to dig some pits with me to teach me about the layers in the snowpack.  He taught me how to read the avalanche forecast, how to chose safe terrain, and how to travel as a group both on the way up and on the way down.  He gave me tips on skinning and tried mightily to give me skiing tips, which I successful ignored.  I was also fortunate to go on one of my earlier tours with my ski idol, Hutch.  This was helpful because she is actually a skier, not a splitboarder, and she's a badass, so she gave me lots of excellent tips as well as a bit of confidence.  Aside from learning about terrain, I learned about my safety equipment and how to use it.  There were lots of great events around Tahoe this winter, including an informative seminar on beacons, which I went to to familiarize myself with how they work.

Surface hoar.  Very pretty, but very dangerous if it gets buried.
Titan and Brian digging a pit
I ended up taking my Avy 1 in March, after I had about 25-30 tours under my bibs.  The reason that I'm glad I waited, is that I found all the information much more valuable after having experience seeing terrain, reading the forecast, evaluating conditions, and observing snow and how it reacted as I was in the backcountry.  I also already knew how to use my equipment, so I wasn't distracted by trying to figure out how to skin, transition, use my shovel, etc. during my class.  The most valuable part of the class for me was the beacon practice.  Although I had talked about doing more beacon practice during the season it never really happened, thus the forced practice was great and made me a lot faster.


Tahoe was the perfect place for me to begin this new facet of skiing.  There is so much skiing that is so accessible, and so much of it is nice low angle terrain.  As much as people don't believe me when I tell them this, I am NOT good at skiing.  I only began skiing about five years ago, and before this season I think my record was maybe 30 days in one season.  So it's safe to say I had well under 100 days of skiing experience going into this season.  I got into backcountry less so for hardcore skiing and more so because I like the whole experience of traveling in the backcountry, getting fresh tracks, and being able to ski with my dogs.  What I didn't expect was how much I would fall in love with it.  Winter has always kind of been an 'eh' season for me (unless I'm out in the desert climbing and it's not actually wintry), but after this year, I can see winter becoming 'the' season for me.



I am looking forward to moving up to Skagway in a few weeks and being able to tour into the summer months.  I feel like a whole new world has opened up to me, and I can no longer pass a snow covered slope without thinking about skiing it. It's amazing how much my focus has shifted from climbing over the past few years, but there are so many activities out there and I want to try them all!  I can't imagine much better than fresh, weightless turns with my dogs bounding down behind me.


Gear
I really like gear.  It was exciting to begin a new activity where I was required to get lots of new stuff!  Here is my gear list for this season:

Skis
Line Soulmate: I don't know much about skis, but I know these ones are sure pretty. 

Dynafit
Neo PX CR boot: Comfiest boot ever.  Right out of the box these things fit like a dream.  From day 1, I've never had any blisters or unconfortable rubbing.  Super light weight.  I can wear these all day, no problem.
TLT Radical binding: Practice transitioning your binding back and forth a few times before you get out in the field, and you'll have these things under control in no time.  Really light and simple. 

Backcountry Access
Float 22 Pack: Overall, I really like this pack and the way the pockets are organized, with a separate pocket for your probe and shove, and a helmet spot.  I wish you could choose which side your airbag deployer was on, like on the 32L pack.  This pack is great for day tours, but not big enough for multi day trips.  It seemed to have a 'manly' fit on me, wide in the shoulders, I really had to cinch it down to get it to stay on right.
Shovel: Pretty standard and shovely.  
Stealth 270 Probe: If possible, practice deploying probes in the store and find the one that is easiest for you to use.  This things snaps together really quickly and I'm happy with the length.
Tracker 2 Beacon: Really simple and intuitive.  I like this beacon a lot.

Black Diamond
Big ol Mittens: Not the official name, but my hands get really chilly so I like these fluffy mittens.
Little Skinning Gloves: Also not the real name but I've found my hands sweat too much in my mittens to skin with them, but they are often too cold with out mittens, so these liners keep me happy.
Skins: Yup.  An important part of the equation!

Smith
Maze Helmet: Lightest helmet on the market.  Need I say more?
IO/S Goggles: Made for smaller faces.  No gaper gap.  Superior anti-fog technology.  Reallllllly easy lens transitions.
Lowdown Slim Sunnies: I love these sunnies for skinning (and life) and because they are 'slim' they don't fall off my face.

Clothes
Patagonia Pow Slayer bibs: As long as you don't have to pee too often, these bibs are awesome!  I didn't realize how dirty this cool yellow color would get, so I would suggest a darker pair.  Good pockets.
Columbia Midweight Stretch Baselayer Tight (not pictured): These are bright pink and shiny on the inside! 
SmartWool PhD Ski Ultra Light Sock: The best ski sock there is.  Or so I think.
Outdoor Research Ferrosi Softshell Hoodie: I don't have an official ski jacket so I usually wear this as my skinning jacket until I get too hot and take it off, then I put it back on with an insulated layer on top.
First Ascent BC MicroTherm Storm Down Jacket (not pictured): This jacket is badass.  It's warm, it's down, it's water resistant, and it fits super right.  
Outdoor Research trucker hat: Keep the sun off the snoz.
Big Truck bucket hat: Really keep the sun off on those super sunny days.
Buff: Never leave home without it.  I wear a buff 100% of the time when skiing, whether it is freezing or super hot.  


No comments:

Post a Comment