Saturday, October 24, 2015

Gear Love

I really love gear.  Sometimes I feel like I want to buy all the new gadgets, latest models, and coolest looking apparel.  But, living in the van has taught me that I can't have it all because 1. I don't have spare money for all the latest gear and 2. There is no space for more gear.  This year I have been very selective about acquiring things, and I am really excited about a couple pieces of new gear.  Here they are and here's what I like about them:


1. Spot Gen3 Locator: This isn't normally something I would have thought to get myself, but my Grandpa really wanted me to have one and gave it to me as a gift.  As it turns out, this has been really useful and fun to have.  I primarily use it to check in with my family and friends if I'm out of cell phone range, just click a button and it texts or emails them an "I'm OK" message.  I also used it to check in at each of our campsites on the Tahoe Rim Trail, and using the app, I had a map of all our campsites at the end of the hike, which was really neat and entertaining to look at.  In an emergency, you can call for rescue, and there are also settings that allow to call for assistance in a non-emergency situation.
  
2. Goal Zero Flip 10: Tiny and efficient, this thing charges up your phone, GoPro, or tablet when you need some power on the go.  While backpacking and bike touring, I charge this during the day using my Nomad 3.5 panel and then boost up my electronics in the tent at night.  I also charge it up in the van and take it with me on day adventures in case I am ever running low on battery.

3. Outdoor Research Helium II Jacket: As you can see from the picture, this jacket folds up TINY!  It weighs only 5.5 oz, so there is really no reason not to take it with you everywhere you go.  It's waterproof (though I've experienced a tiny bit of zipper seepage during extended periods of heavy rain) and it comes in a bunch of fun colors.  This thing will always be in my pack, on me, or clipped to my harness.

4. Hydro Flask 64 oz. Growler (18 oz. pictured): Keeps the colds cold and the hots hot!  The Hydro Flask Growler is my favorite option because it's HUGE and between me and the pups, we drink a ton of water.  If you're looking for a more portable and lighter option, the 18 oz. is my next most used.  The bottle is durable and can stand being thrown around a bit and your beverage will be ready to enjoy at the temperature you filled it up at any time of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment