Saturday, March 1, 2014

Moe's Valley

Moe's Valley is in St. George, Utah, a mere two hours from Las Vegas.  We arrived there with plans to stay a few days and try to put some projects to rest that we had started on a previous trip.  Moe's is a great little area, very laid back, with some high quality sandstone and lots of moderates.  We spent a week walking the red dusty trails and sampling some really stellar climbs.

I had my eye on Underwhelmed, a really cool V6 that follows a horizontal roof out to an arete.  I was able to do all the moves except for one.  I must have tried that single move at least 30 times in one session, but still was not able to stick it.  Nevertheless, I was happy with the links I made on the problem and the fact that I got all the other moves figured out.  The climb is kind of my anti-style, big powerful moves, versus the more techy climbs I usually favor.

The other climb I wanted to do was Sichuan Peppercorn, V5, and possibly Kung-Pao, the V6 that traverses into the 5.  I decided to figure out Sichuan Peppercorn first and then try to do the additional moves at the start.  The features on this climb are so unique and I kept finding myself doing a right knee-bar, which put me in a natural body position to bring my right hand up to a positive crimp.  Unfortunately I needed my left hand there.  The knee-bar was so cool and I wanted to use it so bad, but eventually I had to train myself out of using it and go up left hand.  After a few sessions I sent the problem.  I then did the moves on Kung Pao, and went almost to the top of the problem, moves I had done so many times on Sichuan, but I ran out of gas before I could top out.  I was still psyched to have Sichuan Peppercorn in the bag though!

Chelsea did numerous really cool V3s and made good progress on some 4s.  The days passed by lazily as we enjoyed the sun during the day, and took the dogs on evening runs once the temperatures cooled down.  We ate well, got lots of sleep, and met some cool crusher kids from Salt Lake City.  After a week in Moe's, we woke up to a sudden downpour, lightning, and hail.  We jumped in the van and headed out, of the Valley, not wanting to test Silas' ability to climb the steep dirt hill once it became mud.  A few errands in town, and we set our sights east towards Joe's Valley, where we are currently residing and waiting for a storm to pass so we can get out on the rock!


Adventure On. LP








1 comment:

  1. Hi! I came across your posts today when I was searching for sprinter-friendly places to camp in Utah. We'll be in southern Utah next week with a family member's long wheelbase, tall sprinter van and we're concerned about finding a place to camp with it over Columbus Day weekend where it will fit and where access isn't sketchy. Do you have any suggestions? They'd be greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete