Monday, March 14, 2016

An Ode to Silas

As most are aware, I sold Silas a few weeks ago.  It was SUPER SAD.  I actually had to try pretty hard not to cry when he drove away with his new owners.  The only thing that made me ok with it is that he went to an awesome home with an adventurous couple who has already taken him to Yosemite several times as well as the Eastern Sierras.  I know he will enjoy his new life and bring his new peeps as many adventures as he brought me.  Here is an ode to my beloved van:

Silas

You came in to my life at a difficult time
You were there to excite and distract me in a time of sadness
Building you and planning adventures lifted my spirits during a dark time

During our first trip together, we bumbled down dark dirt roads
trying to figure out the headlights, getting stuck in a big rut and spinning our wheels
and freaking out when warning lights came alight on the dash

Each time we set out, I fit better in the seat
and a giant cargo van became an extension of my body
seamlessly maneuvering down the highway to the next destination

You became a home for me and my best friend and my pups
You acted as our shelter, our transportation, movie theater, kitchen, and library
we set out to do whatever our imaginations came up with and you were the one to take us there

There were times of frustration
when it seemed like all you wanted to do was break
But then you came back to life and powered us up the next hill

The familiar smell of melting crayons that comes from your cockpit
became a lovely welcome home.
For a while, you even welcomed a family of mice home, that wasn't so good.

One day, you drove past a kayaker
I rolled the window down and asked if he wanted to hop in
He did.  And then we fell in love.  Thanks Silas, I owe you big time for that one.

You brought me so much happiness
and a life I had only dreamed of before
became my reality

Some people see you as just an old van
But I see you like an old friend
So thanks for everything.

I'll miss you.

AK
UT
Yukon Territory
UT 
CA
UT
CO 
UT
British Columbia
CA 
MT
WA
OR
NV
ID
WY
UT
WY 
WA 
British Columbia
AK
AK


1 comment: